- I have enough chairs for 12 anglers per day along with rods reels for both indicators and retrieving along with all the flies.
- I have a cook make breakfast and lunch for anglers.
- We have coffee brewing snacks cold waters and sodas
- $250 per anger each day.
- Openings in March and April
- PDF OVERVIEW (provided by Joe Contaldi) | click here
OUTLINE, OBSERVATIONS & ADVICE ON HOW TO PLAN FOR PYRAMID LAKE OUTING | Scott Olson
- TRAILER RENTALS & RECOMMENDATIONS
We always try to rent trailer #15 however #13 is also a good one. They each sleep three people very comfortably with all of their gear. Last April we paid $100.00 / night. They also have cabins which we stayed in one year, but we really prefer the trailers. (SEE places to book for lodging below).
- Pyramid Lake Lodge
- MEALS OUT VS COOKING
I don’t recall recommending any eateries as there is nothing around there except the café and they only sell burgers and the like. They also have a full bar and well stocked mini-market. The closest place to get a “decent” meal would be Sparks which is about 30 minutes away. We always bring all of our own food and cook in the trailer. All of the trailers have BBQ’s so that is an option as well.
- ROUTINE | MORNINGS & PRE-EVENING
Frankly, the days are long if you want to have any chance of catching fish. Our routine is to be on the water by 7:00 a.m. and fish until around noon to 1:00 p.m. at that point we go back to the trailer and have lunch and break for a couple of hours (fishing usually slows down in the middle of the day) then we get back on the water and fish until sundown which is around 6:00 to 6:30 (the afternoon bite is usually better). By that time, after standing in the elements all day, all you want is a shower and a hot meal.
- LADDERS VS WADING
Fishing from a ladder is the way to go as it gives you a better look at what’s going on, however we fished it the first couple of years by just wading and we did fine. As a matter of fact my biggest fish (13 lbs.) was caught while wading during snow flurries. The old Pyramid Lake maxim is “the worse the weather the better the fishing.”
- TRAVEL | FLYING VS DRIVING
As far as traveling is concerned we’ve done it both ways (flying & driving) and have found driving to be more to our liking. It’s about a 9 hour drive with stops so not too bad. We always leave early enough so that we can fish the afternoon bite on our travel day.
- GUIDE OR SELF-GUIDING?
Once again, I do strongly recommend getting a guide for your first day as you will learn everything you need to know about fishing Pyramid after one day of guiding. After that it’s just being on the right beach at the right time and putting in the hours.
- GEAR & FLIES
A 7 or 8 wt. rod is just fine and the flies are fairly simple: midges, balanced leeches, popcorn beetles and wooly buggers are about all you need to be successful.
- I always take two rods and set one up with a floating line for heave and leave nymphing and one with a sinking line for stripping streamers. A 10 ft. rod is best if you have it, but a 9 ft. rod will work as well.
- REVIEW AS AN OUTING
Hope you guys make the effort to fish it as it is an experience. It’s always a crapshoot, but in the four years that we have fished it we have never been skunked and if you do land a fish it won’t be small.
- Thursday, April 14
- Travel Day (9 hours one way)
- Might want to break up the travel over two days.
- Friday, April 15
- For some, 2nd day of travel.
- Loose day to prep for fishing on Saturday.
- Might goof off and hit the lake on our own and/or work out gear & getting everything ready.
- GROUP DINNER/POTLUCK?
- Saturday, April 16 | 8 hours on the water!
- Start 6 :30 am
- Breakfast 8:30
- Lunch 11:30 – 12:00
- Day rap up 2:30
- Plan for dinner or go back and fish on our own.
- Sunday, April 17
- Everyone is on their own.
- Either hire Joe for another day, or go on your own.
- Some might head on back home
- Monday, April 18
- Travel back home
WHAT TO BRING/BUY/PREPARE FOR
- BUY your FISHING LICENSE in advance > LINK
- IMPORTANT: You must buy your permit, print and display it in your vehicle.
- Seniors can select the appropriate license on the webpage.
- BOOK your LODGING in advance
- Crosby’s is now “Pyramid Lake Lodge“
- PACK food for a potluck on Friday, maybe Saturday.
- BRING CRAZY WARM CLOTHING in case of inclement, super cold weather. Wind & cold can be 30-40 miles per hour.
GEAR, IF YOU HAVE IT
- 250.300 SINK TIP LINE, POPCORN BEETLE & STRIP OFF THE POINTS (tips by Gary Scott)
MIGHT HAVE A CASTING CLINIC BEFORE OUTING | JODY MARTIN, CI
- In 2022, Easter Sunday will fall on April 17.
- Good Friday will be on April 15
- Passover: Apr 14, 2022 – Apr 23, 2022
- Local school Spring Break > April 15-24